‘Reading Buddies’ a success at Yelm’s Ft. Stevens Elementary – “PASS IT ON: 1 hour a week can unlock a child’s potential”!
– United Way’s Reading Buddies program a great success at Fort Stevens Elementary.
Local Leader Sara Steinberg said this to the Yelm Community Blog:
“Last year’s test results showed how much this program made a difference at Fort Stevens, but the most rewarding part was seeing the excitement in the children’s eyes when we got together every week. This fall, in addition to building the program in Yelm, we hope to introduce it in Rainier.”
“Would you like to make a difference in a child’s life in just 1 hour per week, right here in Yelm? The United Way’s Reading Buddies program is seeking volunteers to work one-on-one with kids in local schools. Training provided. Contact Program Coordinator Jennifer Thompson at 360-943-2773 ext. 121 or firstname.lastname@example.org.”
PSSST! PASS IT ON: 1 hour a week can unlock a child’s potential!
Spend that time helping them practice reading, and they’ll be more likely to graduate.
* What difference can 1 hour a week make?
A HUGE DIFFERENCE: By 3rd grade, students not reading at grade level are 4 times more likely to NOT graduate high school! That’s why Yelm is looking for caring adult volunteers to give younger students extra, one-on-one reading practice!
* Through what program?
United Way’s Reading Buddies, which has already helped 800 students in Lewis, Mason, and Thurston Counties.
* And now it’s come to Yelm?
Last year the program began at Yelm’s Fort Stevens Elementary School. This fall we need Reading Buddies for both Fort Stevens and Rainier schools.
* What’s involved in being a Reading Buddy?
During the school year, you spend 1 hour a week, usually working individually with 2 students.
* How can you learn more?
1) On YouTube, search for “reading buddies 2016 united way thurston” to see 2 short videos about Thurston County’s program.
2) Visit unitedway-thurston.org, click on “Get Involved,” then on “Reading Buddies.”
3) Attend a Reading Buddy Orientation. There’ll be several to choose from, including one on Monday afternoon, Sept. 18, in Yelm.
4) Contact Program Coordinator Jennifer Thompson at 360-943-2773 ext. 121 or email@example.com
5) Chat with Reading Buddy Local Leader Sara Steinberg, 360-458-0954 or firstname.lastname@example.org