Road sign entering Ferns, Ireland
Courtesy: Flanagan’s Apple Irish Pub, Yelm
Ferns, Ireland is the Sister City to the City of Yelm
“Ferns (Irish: Fearna, meaning “alder trees” short for Fearna Mr Maedhg) is a small historic town in north County Wexford, Ireland with a population of about 900.”
“Ferns is believed to have been established in the 6th century, when a monastery was founded in 598 dedicated to St Mogue of Clonmore who was a Bishop of Ferns. The town became the capital of the Kingdom of Leinster when the kings of that southern part of the province established their seat of power there. King Dermot MacMurrough founded St. Mary’s Abbey as a house of Augustinian canons c. 1158 and was buried there in 1171.
Photo courtesy of Dr. Miceal Ledwith
Ferns Castle, an Anglo-Norman fortress, was built in the 13th century by William, Earl Marshall. Today about half of the castle still stands. The town also contains the 13th-century St Edan’s Cathedral (Church of Ireland) and several high crosses and parts of crosses.
The 19th century population peaked in 1851, but never reached the levels of medieval times. Lewis’s Topography of 1834 claimed the town ‘consists chiefly of one irregular street, and contains 106 houses indifferently built, retaining no trace of its ancient importance’.”
The Yelm area has another connection to Ferns, Ireland, as well.
Yelm-based Ramtha’s School of Enlightenment (RSE) Teacher Dr. Miceal Ledwith [L.Ph., L.D., D.D., LL.D (h.c)] is from the Fern’s Diocese in Ireland. The diocese was founded in the year 598 AD.
Dr. Ledwith was the former adviser to Pope John Paul II for 17 years as Member and Chairman of the Vaticans International Theological Commission.
Read more on Dr. Ledwith.
This post was written by Steve Klein.
Klein is employed as the Event Services Manager for JZ Knight and Ramthas School of Enlightenment.