Following a recent Public Documents request from the City of Yelm, once again the results of discovery show that Yelm did not publish the Yelm Park Development Plan for competitive bids, nor did they advertise the project in accordance with state law, RCW 39.80.030.
Does the community REALLY want a Park Plan that excludes the public from the process?
The city’s Park Plan comprised:
– NO competitive bids for the park’s development plan, no advance publication according to the law (the city Staff Report to City Council is not notifying the public),
– NO public Town Hall or Q & A Forum,
– NO tax payers’ input on the tax liability they must incur for 25 years,
– NO invitations for the public to comprise the ad hoc committee,
– NO explanation on other Park plans considered nor why “this is the preferred plan.”
– NO community discourse.
From the November 27, 2012 Yelm City Council Meeting Minutes:
“City staff has been in negotiation with Arai Jackson Ellision Murakami, LLP regarding the [park development plan] project.”
If this was out for competitive bid, there would be no negotiation, for the bidding process would have been completed listing the cost.
I am in favor of a park overhaul, however public involvement at the grass roots level on this issue and any tax levy must be included. I am a champion for full disclosure on every aspect of the Park Plan.