Mayor Harding announced to the Yelm City Council that he was “responsible” for a Staff Report that Ryan Johnstone presented to the council to authorize the mayor to sign.
The City Council Minutes and video of August 25, 2015 acknowledge that Mr. Harding reported that “he did the staff report” for Fee Agreement Amendment No. 2. for the contract for management services with BCRA for the Yelm Community Center.
– The Yelm City Administrator post has been vacant since September 1st and still has not been posted seeking applicants to fill this position.
– Mr. Harding previously told the newspaper that he and other staff are handling the City Administrator functions.
– Mr. Harding reported to the Yelm Community Blog that he is receiving no additional salary to handle City Administrator functions.
– Mayor Harding was “responsible” for a Staff Report presented to the counsel,
– Mayor Harding was the person to oversee the same Staff Report on the agenda to the council,
– Mayor Harding was the person to adjudicate the council’s vote of his Staff Report,
– Mayor Haring was the person to sign the authorization once the council gave their approval,
– Mayor Harding will also be involved in seeing the authorization is executed, since there is no City Administrator to do so.
The Yelm Municipal Code clearly defines the Mayor & City Administrator roles:
2.02.010 Powers and duties generally.
The mayor shall be the chief executive and administrative officer of the city, in charge of all departments and employees, with authority to designate assistants and department heads. The mayor shall appoint a chief administrative officer, to be known as the city administrator, if so provided by ordinance [Ord. 829 § 4, 2005]. The mayor shall see that all laws and ordinances are faithfully enforced and that law and order is maintained in the city, and shall have general supervision of the administration of city government and all city interests.”
The position of city administrator shall be filled by appointment of the mayor, subject to the confirmation by a majority vote of the city council, to serve at the pleasure of the mayor. The city at its discretion may specify additional terms and conditions of employment in a written agreement executed by the mayor and approved by the city council. (Ord. 829 § 4, 2005).
2.14.020 Scope of authority.
2.14.020 Scope of authority.
Under the direction and authority of the mayor, the city administrator shall supervise, administer, and coordinate the activities and functions of all city officers, departments, commissions and boards to implement city ordinances and policies through the effective use of city employees, funds, materials, facilities and time, and shall direct and control the overall operations of the city to assure optimum services to the community. (Ord. 829 § 4, 2005).
Click here for the Yelm Municipal Code.
I call on the Yelm City Council to do their job and uphold the Yelm Municipal Code and authorize the posting of the City Administrator position straight away. The city’s Program Manager position is also open, so this town’s City Hall is without two key people.
Yelm is not a dictatorship!