Yelm is Thurston County’s Gateway to Mt. Rainier,
leading to the “Road to Rainer” scenic Byway.
– “ROAD TO RAINIER SCENIC BYWAY: MOST POPULAR ROUTE TO MOUNT RAINIER”
Four historic communities — Eatonville, Elbe, Mineral, and Ashford — are on the loop formed by the Road to Rainier Scenic Byway, with Mount Rainier National Park at the east end. These towns offer accommodations only a short drive from the park. All along the route are unique activities to explore and enjoy.
The Road to Rainier Scenic Byway ends at the national park’s main (and only year-round) entrance. Inside the park, follow a wooded, winding road up to Longmire and Paradise for their magnificent views, historic buildings, and visitor centers. Spend days discovering the park’s numerous hiking trails, wildlife, and stunning panoramas.
Discover on the Road to Rainier Scenic Byway:
* a vintage steam train that takes you to a railroad museum
* a 725-acre nature park with free-roaming wildlife and zip line/challenge courses
* a hands-on visit to the past at a pioneer farm and native tribal village
* cabins, lodges, spas, and campgrounds with easy park access
* restaurants, outdoor stores, art galleries
* horseback riding, fishing, cross-country skiing, many hiking trails
* and even more