Prozac and other drugs in Puget Sound waters and fish,
some of the highest levels reported in the country
Photo credit: NOAA Fisheries, Univ. of WA
– “Cocaine, Prozac, other drugs found in Puget Sound salmon from tainted wastewater“
* “Samples collected in Tacoma and Bremerton show 81 drugs and personal-care products”
* “Scientists don’t know if high levels because of residents’ drug use or wastewater-treatment processes”
* “Findings don’t indicate threat to human health”
“The estuary water near the outfalls of sewage-treatment plants and effluent sampled at the plants were cocktails of 81 drugs and personal-care products with levels detected among the highest in the nation.
The medicine chest of common drugs also included Flonase, Aleve, Tylenol, Paxil, Valium, Zoloft, Tagamet, OxyContin, Darvon, nicotine, caffeine, fungicides, antiseptics, anticoagulants and antibiotics,” quoting Lynda V. Mapes, The Seattle Times.
– “Your Fish Is on Drugs”
“Salmon are regarded as an indicator species, which means they serve as a measure of environmental conditions. The researchers examined juvenile Chinook salmon and Pacific staghorn sculpin, both of which are native to Puget Sound.
More than 40 contaminants were detected in their tissues and some, namely Prozac, metformin and triclosan, were found at levels that could harm their growth, reproduction and behavior.”
* “Exposure to Pharmaceuticals Disrupts Wild Fish Behavior”
* “Kentucky Warns Residents Not to Eat Too Much Locally Caught Fish”
“Unfortunately, the contamination in Puget Sound is not unique. Fish across the U.S. are simply too contaminated to eat.”
“[Kentucky’s] waterways are so contaminated with mercury that state officials have since expanded the warning. Now, everyone is warned not to consume much of the fish caught in local rivers, streams and lakes. [Due to proximity to coal country.]”
* “Are Any Fish Safe to Eat?”
“Among the safest in terms of contamination, and the highest in healthy omega-3 fat, is wild-caught Alaskan and sockeye salmon. Neither is allowed to be farmed, so each is always wild-caught,” quoting Dr. Mercola.
– “Environmental Research Reveals Seattle Salmon are on Drugs — Thanks, Humans!”
“Who knew salmon could be ‘high’ on cocaine?” by Carolanne Wright, Contributing Writer for Wake Up World.
– Former area resident Ed Wiltsie, BSCE, MSCE, PE (Professional Engineer) brought this issue before the Yelm City Council over a decade ago!
– “HOW TO DISPOSE OF YOUR PRESCRIPTION DRUGS RESPONSIBLY”
Covered on this Blog February 12, 2012.
– “DO WE KNOW WHAT IS IN YELM’S DRINKING WATER?”
Covered on this Blog April 14, 2008.
– “CHECK YOUR CITY’S WATER QUALITY REPORT”
Covered on this Blog January 27, 2007.
– Berkey water filters are a must for home and travel
If you are unable to afford a full house water filtration system, a kitchen counter-top drinking water filter is a must. Our home. have used a Berkey for years.