HAPPY 4th of JULY !
First published here on July 4, 2006:
“In the United States, Independence Day, commonly known as the Fourth of July, is a federal holiday commemorating the adoption of the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776, declaring independence from the Kingdom of Great Britain. Congress approved the wording of the Declaration on July 4 and then sent it to the printer.
In 1776, John Adams declared, “The second day of July, 1776, will be the most memorable epocha in the history of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forevermore.”
 Letter to Abigail Adams,” quoting Wikipedia.
– The Declaration of Independence
From the National Archives of the United States of America.
– “Flashback: Lady Liberty Celebrates a Milestone Birthday”
“Tom Brokaw reports from the New York harbor in 1986 on the 100th birthday of the Statue of Liberty.”
From NBC News.
– “Will the United States ever be free again?”
“Exclusive: Patrice Lewis contrasts price of liberty with price of enslavement”
“The Founding Fathers also knew there were certain things that could never be taken away from the people by the government. These were called Rights (with a capital “R”) and came directly from God. They understood – as people don’t understand today – that rights granted by a government can be taken away by a government; but Rights granted by the Creator can never be taken away. They enshrined these Rights in the founding documents and charged the government with the critical task of safeguarding them.
It’s no accident that America became a beacon of hope for immigrants, a powerhouse of industry and the wealthiest nation on earth,” from Patrice Lewis, WMD.com.
– “Say goodbye to Americas landmarks this Independence Day”
By Chris Trejbal, America’s Blog, in 2014.
“‘The Spy Spangled Banner’ – NSA Can You See – National Anthem (Parody)”
– 2016: “What to the Slave Is 4th of July?” – James Earl Jones Reads Frederick Douglass’ Historic Speech”
By Amy Goodman, Democracy Now! | Video Report
– 2016: “A divided nation unites on the Fourth of July”
* Polls show that Americans are deeply divided this election year
* They’re not all that happy with the direction of the country either
* But July Fourth is the one day of the year that pulls us back together, scholars say
By Rick Montgomery, The Kansas City Star.