– Key points of observation:
* Interim Mayor JW Foster presented his mayoral candidate endorsements March 11.
* All area State Reps, County Commissioners, County Mayors, County Sheriff endorsed Foster.
* The public will not be aware of all candidates for public office until Filing Week in 2 months.
* Every Yelm mayoral election after 2001 has had a large list of officials’ endorsements early.
* The perception has been that elected officials support the incumbent no matter what.
* This has resulted in an intimidation factor, giving pause to anyone opposing the incumbent.
* Foster’s firefighting career and civic duties make him well-known to the endorsers.
* However, outsiders tend to sway public opinion, creating a perceived interference in the Yelm race.
* Are elected officials’ endorsements in the public interest, without knowing all who are running?
* This political movement is all from former Mayor Ron Harding’s 3-term election strategy books.
* Is Yelm’s mayoral race recognized as all sewn-up, with this incumbent now beholding to others?
* Yelm voters have had no options for mayor here since 2005 with only one candidate on the ballot in 2009 and 2013, as no one dared oppose the incumbent against such a gauntlet of endorsers.
* Challengers to all incumbent positions provide voters with choices and create healthy debate.
– NVN: interim Mayor JW Foster’s campaign for Yelm mayor announced March 11
“Foster Seeks Full Term”
“Yelm Mayor JW Foster announced his bid for the mayor’s office on Monday [March 11] at an informal meet and greet at Prairie Hotel,” by Graham Perednia.
– Candidate Foster’s endorsers include every major area elected official in county and cities, plus state legislature reps.
– Filing Week is May 15-19, 2017
The first day [candidate] filings may be accepted by mail is May 1st,” quoting the Thurston County Auditor’s Office.
– Mr. Foster asked for my endorsement. This was my response:
“I am not making any endorsements until summer when I can see who enters each of the races and can learn about their stands and platforms.”
– Bottom Line:
I support many of Foster’s policies, not the politics that usurp the public interest.