Thurston County Auditor’s Office posts candidates at close of filing week
* 2 candidates vie for Yelm mayor for the 1st time in 12 years: Foster & DePinto.
* 3 council seats have no challenger: Curry, Stillwell, Wood,
* With uncontested seats still at issue here, there will be no debate on these 3 candidates’ stands, except for Stillwell who well-enunciated his views in the 2015 election to fill that vacated seat.
* Council Pos. 1 was appointed in 2016, will run in 2017 without a challenger: Curry.
* Council Pos. 3 has a Pos. 7 incumbent vs. a new candidate: Hendrickson, Colt.
* Council Pos. 4 and 5 have no challengers: Stilwell, Wood.
* Council Pos. 7 holder now running for Pos. 3, leaving 2 new Pos. 7 candidates, Blair, Kaminski.
* The council will definitely have a new mind joining, in the Pos. 7 winner.
– At the close of Filing Week last Friday (May 19) at 5pm, two Yelm trends emerged:
A. some refreshing new faces have emerged to run for Yelm City Council,
B. The mayor’s seat has 2 candidates, which WILL garner debates on issues,
C. 3 incumbents have no challenger to engender their public discourse,
D. Current Pos. 7 Councilor Hendrickson obviously had prior knowledge that his current Pos. 3 colleague Councilor Littlefield was not going to run, so instead of defending his seat against previously-announced new-comer James Blair, he moved to file as a candidate for Pos. 3, yet now has a new opponent for that seat in Cody Colt. Hendrickson is finally going to have his 11+ year record challenged, which is in the public’s interest.
E. Kamisnki has been a long-time public servant on the Yelm Planning Commission.
Read more from the Thurston County Auditor’s Office.
– Cindy Teixeira Nisqually Valley News (NVN) Correspondent’s astute observation
Teixeira filed this in the NVN online and print editions May 18, 19:
“With few contested races, those who filed this week and face no opponent don’t have to do anything but show up to take the oath after the election.”
Editor’s Note: That IS a frequent sad state of affairs for our city government’s election cycle.
– Bottom Line:
I acknowledge anyone wishing to serve the public’s interest. Running a campaign with a challenger and then serving the public is not for the faint-hearted or thin-skinned.
Current Pos. 1 Interim Councilor EJ Curry
Current Pos. 7 Councilor Russ Hendrickson
New Challenger Cody Colt
Current Pos. 4 Councilor Tad Stillwell
Current Pos. 5 Tracey Wood
New Challenger James Blair
New Challenger Terry Kaminski