Yelm High School
Photo credit: KING 5 TV, Seattle
* Why are Yelm’s leaders continuing to be in ethics violations cross-hairs?
* Former Mayor Harding was covered by this blog and the NVN for appearances of conflicts of interest.
* State Auditor’s office told Harding avoidance of all appearances of conflicts of interest is required in a public leadership position.
* YHS coaches’ accused summer camp behavior have unnecessarily put the YCS leadership in the hot-seat with alcohol being consumed by coaches in supervisory role of children.
* Perhaps an ethics class is required for city officials and coaches to understand why these are issues?
* Overshadows good news about YCS feeding students during summer.
– “Yelm HS coaches accused of drinking, swearing at students during camp”
“Whether they’re volunteering or paid, Yelm School District employees will no longer be allowed to drink alcohol while acting as camp supervisors.
Yelm Community Schools [YCS] Superintendent Brian Wharton said the district is investigating claims that assistant coaches drank beer while they were off-duty during a football camp at George Fox University in Oregon in June.
Wharton said since the coaches were volunteering to attend the camp, they technically were not in violation of the district’s alcohol use policy.
He said that policy will likely be changing to prohibit any alcohol use at any event with anyone affiliated with the school district.”
“The superintendent said reports that the assistant coaches, as well as the players, were swearing at the camp is unacceptable,” by Drew Mikkelsen, South Bureau Chief for KING-5 TV, Seattle.
– “Schools, Community Team Up to Feed Students During Summer”
By Brian Wharton, Yelm Community Schools Superintendent.