Photo credit: Linked In
– Editor’s note:
A tribute to Tyler Huey in appreciation of a job well-done!
I received a notice from the Linked In networking site that Nisqually Valley News Assistant Editor/reporter Tyler Huey is no longer with the newspaper. His last story was published November 8, 2017. Regardless what reason, there has been no recognition in the newspaper as to his 9 years 11 months of distinguished service to our community, especially in working for two Editors/Publishers. Huey was hired by former NVN Editor/Publisher Keven Graves in December 2007.
I have found Tyler Huey’s contributions and insights to our area to be worthy of acknowledgement. He was a good listener and contemplative of opposing points of view and matured in his reporting of such.
I was the liaison between him and JZ Knight in 2014 and found his exchange expansive for our community, as did Knight when she said this to Huey:
“That you and your newspaper solicit community debate is an important role in fostering mutual understanding in our community. I acknowledge Tyler Huey for his views on science supporting the knowledge of our world today.
And, on this we agree: ‘Belief Is a Powerful Asset for Everyone.'”
Mr. Wagar has big shoes to fill in the Sports section with Huey’s departure, similar to the loss of venerable NVN reporter Steven Wyble almost 2 years ago, which took over a year for a replacement to be hired.
Best wishes in your future endeavors Tyler.
Your “Mind of Mr. Perfect” column is missed!
– About Tyler Huey From Linked In
Assistant Editor/Reporter Nisqually Valley News
Dates Employed Jan 2008 – Nov 2017
Employment Duration 9 yrs 11 mos
Location Yelm, WA
* Edited publications and communication messages including newsletters, articles, and social media content to remove typographical and grammatical errors and ensure accuracy.
* Interviewed over 1,000 correspondents, sourced and maintained contacts, and built professional relationships.
* Gathered and evaluated factual information to develop intriguing stories.
* Trained other associates in effective use of language and Associated Press Stylebook standards.
* Prioritized work, developed and implemented workflow processes, and met strict deadlines.
* Contributed pictures, videos, and text updates for digital media platforms; coordinated with news managers and producers to develop exclusive stories.
* Liaised with design teams, video production specialists, web engineers, outside vendors, and partner organizations about content, project schedules, and feature development.
* Demonstrated expertise in news judgment and an in-depth knowledge of local and national current affairs. Offered constructive feedback to writers when requested.
* Worked on ad-hoc assignments including business profiles conducive to enhanced sales by thousands of dollars through advertisements.
* Monitored all news, sports, and traffic sources. Directed efforts to promote original stories and increase readership.