– Sunday, March 4, 11:25am e-mailer
A Message from Superintendent Brian Wharton – March 4
We want to inform you about a student discipline situation that is in process. Our schools remains safe thanks to the vigilance of our community and the Yelm Police Department.
* During the evening of Saturday, March 3, a YHS 10th grade student posted a threatening photo and caption to an Instagram account.
* At 10:30pm a concerned citizen called 911 to report about this.
* The Yelm Police Department investigated and responded by arresting the student at 12:30am.
* The student admitted to posting the picture as well as the statement, claiming it was merely a joke. Yelm PD arrested the student then booked student into Youth Services where the student is being detained.
* Yelm PD has confirmed that the gun was fake.
* At 9:00am the parent/guardian was notified the student has been placed on Emergency Expulsion effective immediately.
* YHS Administration is continuing to communicate with YPD.
While the individual student behind this social media threat has been detained and therefore does not pose a threat to our school safety, we will start school tomorrow with an increased number of YPD officers on campus in order to alleviate any lingering fears of our students and parents.
We will always take these reports seriously and appreciate the responsible reporting of our community. We again ask our students, families and our community to use social media for safe and positive communications.
Thank you for your continued support in maintaining a welcoming, safe, student-centered, and collaborative learning environment.