- Ed. Note: In Autumn 1972, I was the newest student manager on the University of Miami (FL.) Football team. One of the seniors was Defensive Back Burgess Owens, who I got to know. I remember him as a really nice guy.
- Owens was named a First-Team All-American defensive back, Most Valuable Defensive Player of the North–South All Star Game, and MVP of the Coaches All-American Game. He was inducted into the University of Miami Sports Hall Of Fame in 1980, and its Orange Bowl “Ring of Honor” in 1999.
- Burgess was the 13th pick in the first round of the 1973 NFL Draft by The New York Jets.
- In November 2019, Owens announced that he would run for the U.S. House of Representatives in Utah’s 4th congressional district. He successfully progressed to the 2020 November general election and defeated Democratic incumbent Ben McAdams.
- Rep. Burgess Owens (R-UT) was sworn-in to Congress in early January, and on his first day, lectured Democrats about patriotism.
- Rep. Hakeem Jeffries (D-NY) called out Utah’s new Trump-supporting Black Republican (Burgess Owens) about his patriotism being misplaced for voting to overturn the November election even after the Capitol insurrection. Click here for this compelling video.
- Though I acknowledge Mr. Owens’ exceptional career and in being elected to Congress, I commend Rep. Jeffries for so eloquently calling out such hypocrisy.
- Steve Klein, Yelm Blog Host
*** TRUMP’S 2ND IMPEACHMENT BEGINS ***
MSNBC’s Morning Joe: Second impeachment trial of Donald Trump begins today
The Atlantic: Freedom of Speech Doesn’t Mean What Trump’s Lawyers Want It to Mean – The First Amendment does not limit the removal and disqualification powers conferred on Congress by the Constitution.
UK’s Daily Mail: Parler ‘offered Donald Trump a 40 per cent stake in the company while he was president if he agreed to post content on the app four hours before uploading the same messages to Twitter and Facebook’