HOW YOU CAN HELP SOUTHERN RESIDENT ORCAS AND SALMON
From the Orca Network:
Saturday October 16 is Orca Recovery Day, a region-wide effort with local Conservation Districts and many partner organizations. For Orca Recovery Day, we invite the community to organize a beach, river, or stream clean-up in the Salish Sea region and beyond. This can be done with friends, family, or on your own, beginning October 16th and extending through the month. Send photos of your efforts to email@example.com.
More information here
- Report whale sightings to 866-ORCANET or firstname.lastname@example.org. Reports are shared with researchers and agencies, providing valuable data.
- Drive less – ride your bike, carpool, or take public transit. A recent study shows that chemicals in tires are lethal to salmon.
- Clean a beach, river, or stream.
- Limit your use of chemicals and plastics.
- Purchase Salmon Safe products. salmonsafe.org
- Protect shoreline habitat for forage fish. shorelinefriendly.org
- Support salmon and orca conservation organizations.
- Donate to Orca Network’s education and advocacy efforts
- Spread the word!
- More information here