Yelm’s executive recruitment firm, The Prothman Company, does not reply
- On October 6th, I wrote to The Prothman Company the letter below, with no response to-date.
- If Mayor Foster’s candidate review committee for city administrator had Mr. Gryaum’s DuPont harassment investigation info, he would have been questioned about that in the pre-hiring interview.
- I served on the selection committee – we were provided with nothing of the kind.
- Did Prothman not perform a proper background check on Mr. Grayum as Mayor of DuPont?
- Yelm paid alot of money to hire this executive talent firm for Harding and Foster.
- Did Prothman provide sexual harassment investigation details to then-Interim Mayor Foster?
- Was that information intentionally kept from the selection committee?
- The city council needs to address whether Prothman did a full due diligence, as contracted!
Blogger’s letter to The Prothman Company, dated Oct. 6, 2021:
I am writing as the host of the Yelm Community Blog in Yelm, WA., to inquire about the scope of your background checks on candidates provided under contract to the city of Yelm for consideration as City Administrator in 2016.
The Yelm Business Assn. (YBA) Board was invited by Mayor Foster to send a board member to serve on the committee to interview/review the applicants for the mayor and provide feedback on each. I was selected by the YBA to serve on this committee.
At no time was there any information provided by Mayor Foster to the committee that Mr. Grayum was the recipient of a harassment allegation and subsequent investigation while as Mayor of DuPont (2012-2016), reported in the Nisqually Valley News on Oct. 5, 2021.
Mayor JW Foster subsequently selected former DuPont Mayor Michael Grayum from your list of candidates, based on the committee’s recommendations.
My question is this: In the course of your firm’s presentation of materials about candidates for consideration as Yelm’s City Administrator, did your firm provide Mayor Foster and/or city staff with background information that included the DuPont harassment allegation/investigation of Mr. Grayum?
This is a serious matter in light of the allegations now public against Mr. Grayum, with the Yelm council being recipient of a letter from the Staff Representative for the Washington State Council of County and City Employees (Council 2, AFSCME, AFL-CIO), requesting Yelm’s mayor initiate “a third-party investigation into several claims of sexual harassment and discrimination by an employee in executive leadership.”
Click here for the full story and the Union Representative’s letter to the Yelm City Council.
Your response will be used in publication of this story on the Yelm Community Blog to inform the public.
Thank you for your consideration.