- Editor’s note: A democratic government’s role should not to dictate to a woman or any individual what they can do/not do with their own bodies.
- If published, an overruling of abortion rights sets back women’s rights of a half-century guarantee of federal, constitutional protection and allows each state to decide whether to restrict or ban abortion.
- Banning abortion rights would underscore who we have become as a country!
- MSNBC’s Lawrence O’Donnell: “We Are Witnessing The Loss Of A Constitutional Right“
- Unprecedented, as “no draft decision in the modern history of the court has been disclosed publicly while a case was still pending.”
- Who leaked this leaked to the media and why?
- The credibility of the Supreme Court has been further eroded with 5 of the Republican-appointed justices voting FOR this draft opinion.
- This fully cements the politicization of the Court?
- Roe vs. Wade was enacted in a 7-2 decision in 1973, with 5 Republican-appointed justices approving.
- Voting rights, LGBTQ rights, and more are now on the line!
- If Roe vs. Wade is struck down, the U.S. will be one of 25 countries denying abortion, birth control and reproductive freedom.
- America can see that elections and voting really do matter, and have consequences!
Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights, draft opinion shows
“The Supreme Court has voted to strike down the landmark Roe v. Wade decision, according to an initial draft majority opinion written by Justice Samuel Alito circulated inside the court and obtained by POLITICO.
“The draft opinion is a full-throated, unflinching repudiation of the 1973 decision which guaranteed federal constitutional protections of abortion rights and a subsequent 1992 decision – Planned Parenthood v. Casey – that largely maintained the right. ‘Roe was egregiously wrong from the start,’ Alito writes.
“‘We hold that Roe and Casey must be overruled,’ he writes in the document, labeled as the “Opinion of the Court.” ‘It is time to heed the Constitution and return the issue of abortion to the people’s elected representatives.'”
“The court’s holding will not be final until it is published, likely in the next two months.”
“The immediate impact of the ruling as drafted in February would be to end a half-century guarantee of federal constitutional protection of abortion rights and allow each state to decide whether to restrict or ban abortion. It’s unclear if there have been subsequent changes to the draft.
“No draft decision in the modern history of the court has been disclosed publicly while a case was still pending. The unprecedented revelation is bound to intensify the debate over what was already the most controversial case on the docket this term.”