The Yelm Chamber of Commerce is hosting a FREE Town Hall to meet your Thurston County candidates for Sheriff and County Commissioner.
- Editor’s note: I reached out to Yelm Chamber Executive Director Line Roy early this year to suggest the annual candidates forum they host for chamber members be open to the public or be made available via live stream.
- I received word earlier this week that the Chamber Board has agreed to schedule a Town Hall Candidates Forum for the entire community.
- I had noticed in previous years that candidates presenting answers to Chamber-only forum audiences, considered “friendly” and covered by a newspaper reporter, gave a far different viewpoint than if in front of a general audience.
- And oft times, what the newspaper reported in their limited column space gave a far different impression to voters than what was presented by the candidates, skewing voters’ perceptions.
- That bothered me as not being fair, in that the public was not provided the same opportunity to access candidates as Chamber members, and especially when the Chamber’s forums were usually our only opportunity to locally engage with the candidates for office.
- I am grateful that this very important forum is going to finally be accessible to the public, and especially all voters who wish to join. BRAVO!
Steve Klein, Yelm Blog Host
Meet the Candidates Town Hall will be held on October 10th, at 6 pm, at Yelm Cinemas.
More information can be found here.
You may submit questions to the candidates here:
Click here to reserve free tickets.