Nya Kabouni, Yelm High freshman, May 10, 2016.
Photo courtesy: Joshua Bessex in The Olympian
– KIRO 97.3 FM “Ron and Don’s Make My Day helps out Yelm girl”
Originally aired: Tuesday, May 24, 2016
“Ron and Don took time to make the day of Nya Kabouni, a teen from Yelm who is engaging in her second battle with cancer.”
Click here for the interview.
– “Ron and Don’s Make My Day helps out Yelm girl with cancer”
“Nya Kabouni’s day starts early in Yelm.
‘We get up at about 4:45 a.m.’ said stepfather Doug Jaquez on KIRO Radio’s Ron and Don Show. ‘We hit the road at about 5:45 a.m. We get to Seattle Cancer Care Alliance at about 7:30 a.m. Then go through [chemo] treatment for about 30 minutes and I drive Nya back home so she can get to school. That’s pretty much how our day goes.’
Nya, 15, said she powers through her day and tries not to give off the impression that she is sick. In fact, many of her classmates at Yelm High School aren’t aware of her early-morning routine.”
“Softball remains Nya’s favorite sport, though she has never gone to a Mariners game. KIRO Radio’s Ron and Don Show, along with the Seattle Mariners, wanted to change that. They gave Nya and her whole family tickets to a game,” by Dyer Oxley, MyNorthwest.com Writer.
– “Yelm golfer begins day with radiation treatment, ends it by making tournament cut”
* Yelm Middle School’s Nya Kabouni was the final golfer to advance to the second day of the 4A Narrows tournament
* This is the first season golfing for the 15-year-old former softball player
* Kabouni is battling a rare form of colon cancer with radiation treatment
By Lauren Smith, The Olympian.