* Saturday will be hottest of year to-date
* Cooling centers are air conditioned, open-the-pubic, and provide a place of heat relief for elderly, infirmed, persons with respiratory issues, or anyone vulnerable to heat stroke
– Tenth record-breaking +80 degree high temperature this year
Olympia Regional Airport, closest official weather service station to Yelm (16 miles), broke the high temperature record for any August 19th. Today’s high of 95 (35 C.) broke the former record high of 94 degrees set in 1961. This is the tenth +80 degree weather-record this year, the last one noted on June 5th.
– Excessive Heat Warning remains in effect through Saturday night.
– Thurston County Emergency Management “cooling centers” available now
These are open-to-the-public places in our area to keep cool this weekend:
* Tenino Quarry Swimming Pool: 300 W. Park Ave., Tenino, open noon-6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. Admission is $4/person.
* Tenino Fire District 12: 187 S. Hodgden St. SE, Tenino, open 24 hours.
* Tenino Timberland Library: 172 Central Ave. W, open 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday.
* Yelm Timberland Library: 210 Prairie Park St., open 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday.
* Phoenix Company Cards and Games: 303 Creek St. SE, Yelm, open 11 a.m.-midnight Friday and Saturday.
– Beat the Heat with Safety in Mind
County residents reminded of summer safety tips as heatwave approaches
From Thurston County Emergency Management