Credit: Environmental Working Group via Weather.com
* Chromium 6 in drinking water of more than 200 Million Americans
* Carcinogenic chemical made notorious by the film “Erin Brockovich” with Julia Roberts
* All 7 Thurston County water systems tested positive for chromium-6
* Includes City of Yelm water system
* What can you do? Buy a counter-top water filter.
* Yelm’s Survival Center an excellent source for water filters.
– “‘Erin Brockovich’ Chemical in Drinking Water of More than 200 Million Americans”
“Drinking water supplies for two-thirds of Americans are contaminated with the carcinogenic chemical made notorious by the film “Erin Brockovich,” which was based on the real-life poisoning of tap water in a California desert town. But there are no national regulations for the compound – and the chemical industry is trying to keep it that way.
Today [September 20, 2016] EWG released an analysis of more than 60,000 tap water tests conducted nationwide, finding that chromium-6, or hexavalent chromium, is in the tap water of more than 218 million Americans,” quoting Bill Walker, Vice President and Managing Editor and David Andrews, Senior Scientist, Environmental Working Group.
Credit: Environmental Working Group
– Chromium-6 Testing Report for Thurston County, Washington:
All 7 water systems tested positive for chromium-6.
92 out of 104 samples tested positive for chromium-6.
[Interactive Map access at bottom]
* County-wide Statistics
Average: 0.230 ppb
Range: ND – 0.574 ppb
* California Public Health Goal: 0.02 ppb
* Systems Containing Chromium-6
– Lacey Water Department
– City of Olympia
– City of Tumwater
– City of Yelm
– Scenic Shores Water Company
– Bucoda Water Dept.
– Eagle Estates
Click here for the Interactive Map.
Click here for the 2015 City of Yelm Water Quality Report.
– UPDATE: October 1, 2016
“Global Water Pollution Has Reached Frightening High”
“Recent news stories tell us a sobering truth: Not only are we facing rapid depletion of groundwater aquifers, much of the world’s water supplies are also becoming too contaminated to safely drink or use for cooking or bathing,” by Dr. Mercola.
– UPDATE: October 1, 2016
“My statement on @ewg findings of nationwide Chrom-6 drinking water contamination”
By Erin Brockovich, Tweeted September 20, 2016.
– UPDATE: October 6, 2016
“Yelm Water Quality Good”
“Drinking water for the city of Yelm met all standards for safety in 2015, according to a quality report released late last month,” quoting the Nisqually Valley News.
Editor’s note: No mention of the Chromium 6 issue was in the newspaper’s report.