I-5 Tacoma construction update
Photo courtesy: WSDOT
* Plan ahead for I-5 drives thru Tacoma after July 4th.
* The new northbound lanes over I-705 will open,
* Southbound city center exit lanes to SR 7 and I-705 will re-open,
* Read about all of the other dates for additional changes.
– From Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT):
Tacoma Area Construction
Get ready and plan ahead! Two big traffic shifts are scheduled to occur shortly after the July 4 holiday and will last for six months.
The first will affect northbound Interstate 5 traffic when all northbound lanes will move onto a newly-built northbound I-5 bridge over I-705. Once that traffic shift is complete, an even bigger shift, this time to southbound I-5 traffic, will occur.
Starting July 10, southbound drivers will notice changes being made to southbound I-5 approaching Tacoma as crews place barrier and restripe the southbound lanes into two distinct roadways.
New! Southbound I-5 exit to Tacoma’s city center back to 2 lanes
Contractor crews have completed their work on the shoulder of southbound I-5 and have reopened both lanes of the southbound I-5 exit (#133) to I-705 and SR 7.