* County Commissioner Edwards kicks the can to municipalities on homeless,
* Commissioner very shortsighted on homeless issue – this is a county-wide challenge,
* All of Thurston’s municipal, county gov’ts should be working together for solutions.
* SE Thurston residents invited to open-to-the-public comment period in Rainier,
Wed., Jan. 31, Rainier Sportsman’s Club, Alaska Street in Rainier, 6-8pm.
– Brilliantly reported by Lisa Pemberton and Amelia Dickson, August 05, 2017:
“Edwards: Homelessness is ‘more a municipal issue than it is a rural America issue’”
“The Thurston County Commissioners have opted not to take action on a proposal that would have asked voters for a sales tax hike to pay for affordable housing programs.
Commissioner Gary Edwards was quick to shoot down the idea during a day-long commissioners work session on Thursday [Aug. 3, 2017] at Thurston County Public Works.
“‘I see the homeless issue as an issue, but it’s much more a municipal issue than it is a rural America issue where the voters in the county reside,’ he said.
– Reported by Lisa Pemberton, The Olympian, January 24, 2018.
“More homeless services? Fewer gopher rules? County seeks input on future work”
“Three open houses have been scheduled to help gather information for Thurston County’s strategic planning process.